Saturday, June 2, 2007

A Nice Transition

 

Status: relieved/interested

Darlings! I'm writing you from Varna! I cant believe it myself, I would have never in a million years guessed that I'd be back here this summer and its doing wonders for my life haha.

So, I live in an apartment right next door (literally) to the opera. I'm renting a room from this women and her family, shes very nice and welcoming and treats me like a niece almost. She has a 12 year old daughter who takes ballet at the academy and is in love with me, its so sweet. The place is nice, not spectacular but normal, though it doesn't matter cause I'm really never there. I'm at the opera from early afternoon to evening almost everyday and sometimes Saturdays (they usually don't work weekends but with this production it looks like we'll be hauling lots of overtime.) When I do have time I'm usually strolling the beach, Internet cafe, my dads place or partying somewhere somehow alone or with friends.
Work is great, but hard because I haven't done anything for a few months and its frustrating at times. The class is so good and really fast pace so its work for my brain as well as my legs. Rehearsals have been good, not as strenuous because we're still learning but my toes have already taken a pretty good beating after just 4 days. The ballet is a new version of the 199..1995? Dr. Zhivago. I'm dancing the cranes (its the hardest female role in the ballet outside of soloists.) and I'm understudy for the waltz, theres no "official" cast so we kinda get cast as we go along, I might be in more also. The company is small and decent, nothing amazing nothing grand. The girls are nice but its often difficult to really connect because we have a language barrier. I understand Bulgarian and they understand Russian but neither of us can speak to the other so its frustrating sometimes but we try our best. The older dancers of course speak Russian so I'm not totally alone.
I feel like I'm getting back in shape, my weights going back to normal and I'm not 100% jumping off the walls but I'm much happier at the moment then I've been in a long time. I'm still waiting to find the right fit, the right place to be for me but for now this is a good transition.
The premiere is June 25 and the second performance is the 27, but I may stay much longer, it depends what other offers I have down the road.

I'll keep you posted (and try to get some pics/videos.)

Me